I make winter squash soup twenty different ways, depending upon the type of squash and how I season it. This soup has double apple flavoring and a touch of curry powder. The addition of coconut milk makes it rich, while using coconut water adds flavor but keeps the soup lighter. The topping takes it a big step beyond ordinary. If you like this soup and want to vary the topping, try the Apple and Squash Relish (pg 282) or Apple Chutney (pg 279) recipes from Vegan Under Pressure.
This is the first in a series of posts about holiday cooking. I hope to help you make cooking for your holiday meals and parties easier.
Creamy Winter Squash Soup with Toasted Pumpkin Seed-Apple Topping
- 1 red tart sweet apple such as Gala or Pink Lady cored and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime or lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds pepitas, toasted (see Note)
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 2 to 3 teaspoons or more curry powder
- 1 medium to large kabocha type or butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cubed to equal at least 5 cups
- 1 apple any kind, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 11/2 cups coconut milk or coconut water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To make the topping: Mix the chopped apple, orange juice, lemon or lime zest and juice, and cardamom in a small bowl. Cover and set aside. Keep the cilantro and pumpkin seeds separate.
- To make the soup: Heat a stovetop pressure cooker over medium heat or set an electric cooker to sauté. Add the onion and dry sauté for 3 minutes. Add the curry powder, squash, diced apple, stock, coconut milk, and salt.
- Lock the lid on the cooker. Bring to high pressure; cook for 4 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Remove the lid, carefully tilting it away from you.
- Using an immersion blender, blender, or food processor, blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, top each bowl with apple topping, cilantro, and pumpkin seeds.