Recipes from Tempting Tempeh
by Jill Nussinow
This makes a satisfying sandwich filling or hearty lunch salad.
Prep Time: 15 to 25 minutes
Marinating Time: 15 to 30 minutes
8 ounces tempeh, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetarian chicken-flavored broth powder or veggie broth and 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup water
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
4 tablespoons mayonnaise or tofu mayo or blended soy or other unsweetened yogurt
1 teaspoon mustard
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam diced tempeh for 15 minutes over simmering water.
- In a medium bowl, mix the broth powder and pepper with the water. Add steamed tempeh and let marinate 15 to 30 minutes. Remove tempeh and drain, discarding any excess.
- Combine tempeh with remaining ingredients. Serve in sandwiches or on crackers, on top of a green salad or stuffed into a tomato.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 457 | Fat 29g | % fat calories 56 | Cholesterol 16mg | Carbohydrate 27g | Protein 23g
Steaming tempeh opens up the pores in the cake, allowing deep penetration of flavors when marinated. Use a simple marinade based either on citrus juice, red wine or water mixed with tamari and a small amount of oil. Add herbs or spices to your liking.
Prep Time: 30 to 40 minutes Cooking Time: 3 to 5 minutes Marinating Time: 10 to 20 minutes
8 ounces tempeh
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
1 tablespoon water 1 teaspoon
toasted sesame oil
- Cut tempeh in half lengthwise and then in half crosswise to create four equal pieces. Steam tempeh in a steamer basket over at least 1 inch of simmering water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While still hot, place tempeh in a shallow pan in which you’ve mixed the lemon juice, tamari, water and sesame oil. Marinate pieces for 10 to 20 minutes, turning if necessary to coat the tempeh on all sides. Remove tempeh from marinade. Grill over hot coals until heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes, being careful not to burn it. Serve on buns or with your favorite side dishes.
Variations: Add minced ginger and garlic to the marinade. If you like barbecue sauce, brush on just before the tempeh is done and continue grilling for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Any longer and it’s likely to burn.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 125 | Fat 4g | % fat calories 31 | Cholesterol 0 | Carbohydrate 11g | Protein 11g
The carrots, asparagus and red peppers in this dish create a spectacular array of color. Use the most beautiful vegetables you can find. This stir-fry works well served over rice, quinoa or noodles.
Prep Time: 20 to 30 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Marinating Time: 15 minutes
8 ounces tempeh, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari
2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons oil
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 carrots, sliced diagonally
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Sucanat® or honey
2 teaspoons arrowroot or cornstarch
2 tablespoons water or vegetable broth 2 green onions, chopped for garnish
- Steam tempeh cubes for 5 to 10 minutes over simmering water. Combine the garlic, 1 tablespoon tamari and water in a medium bowl. Add steamed tempeh cubes and let marinate at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a hot wok or large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add carrots and stir-fry 2 minutes, adding water a teaspoon at a time if they begin to stick. Add onion and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Finally, add the tempeh, its marinade, the asparagus and bell pepper. Stir-fry over medium heat until the asparagus turns bright green and starts to soften.
- Combine remaining tamari, sesame oil, vinegar, Sucanat® or honey, water or vegetable broth and arrowroot in a bowl. Remove from heat. Stir into tempeh-veggie mixture. Return pan to stove and cook until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 215 | Fat 8g | % fat calories 33 | Cholesterol 0 | Carbohydrate 24g | Protein 13g