Simple Slaw (El Salvadorian Style)
My colleague Chef Sandra Guttierez showed me how to make a version of this simple slaw. Often this dish, known as curtido, is fermented. She showed me how to make this fast version.
If you want to ferment it, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt and leave out the vinegar. Follow the directions for making sauerkraut which you can find by searching this site.
- 1/2 large cabbage cored and finely shredded
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 medium onion quartered lengthwise and very finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup white vinegar
Add the cabbage to a large bowl. Pour boiling water over the cabbage and let it sit for at least 15 minutes until the cabbage wilts.
Drain off the water.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. (Refrigerate or not.)
Taste and adjust seasonings.