Tapioca Berry Parfait – Vegan Under Pressure
- ½ cup small pearl not instant tapioca
- 2 cups almond or any nondairy milk
- Pinch of salt optional
- ¼ cup organic sugar or blonde coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh berries of your choice sliced as needed
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Place the tapioca pearls in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under running water for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk to a pressure cooker. Add the tapioca and salt, if using, and stir. Lock the lid. Bring to a high pressure; cook for 4 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Quick release any remaining pressure after 20 minutes. Open the lid carefully, tilting it away from you.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons berries into the bottom of 4 pretty bowls or parfait glasses. Add about 1/4 cup tapioca, then 3 tablespoons berries. Add another 1/4 cup tapioca and top with berries. Garnish with mint.
- Variation: If stone fruits are in season, substitute chopped stone fruit for the berries.