Thank you to both Heather and Amy for reviewing Vegan Under Pressure and featuring Borscht with a Lemon Twist and Greens recipe on your blogs. This recipe can be found below and on page 164 of Vegan Under Pressure.
Heather Nicholds, Heather Nicholds.com
Amy Katz, Veggies Save the Day
Borscht – Vegan Under Pressure
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 medium carrots diced equal to about 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups finely sliced red cabbage about 1/2 medium head
- 1 pound beets 2 to 3 medium, ideally with their greens, washed well, roots chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils rinsed and picked over
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon smoked or regular salt optional
- 2 to 3 cups finely chopped beet greens or Swiss chard
- Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley chives, or dill, for garnish
- Nondairy yogurt for garnish
- Heat a stovetop pressure cooker over medium heat or set an electric cooker to sauté. Add the onion and carrots and dry sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the dill, caraway, bay leaves, cabbage, beet roots, lentils, and stock.
- Lock the lid on the cooker. Bring to high pressure; cook for 8 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Remove the lid, carefully tilting it away from you.
- Using a pair of tongs, carefully remove and discard the bay leaves. Using an immersion blender if you have one, puree the soup in the pot to the consistency that you like. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully blend in batches in a regular blender.) Add the lemon zest and juice and smoked salt, if using.
- Add the beet greens or chard to the soup; or add to individual serving bowls. Spoon the hot soup over the greens. Garnish with herbs and a dollop of nondairy yogurt.
Michelle Spurling says
Jill Nussinow says
So happy to hear this Michelle. I love it, too.