Thank you to the following for reviewing Vegan Under Pressure and featuring the Orange Scented Beet Salad recipe on your blogs. The recipe for this salad is below and can be found on page 146 of Vegan Under Pressure.
Orange Scented Beet Salad – Vegan Under Pressure
- 1 ½ pounds beets about 6 medium or more small (smaller is usually better)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 large slices orange zest from organic oranges
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar Sucanat or agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 cups spicy greens like arugula mustard or a mix, washed and dried
- Scrub beets. Remove tops, stems and tails and cut in half. Then cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Put the orange juice, vinegar and the large slices of orange zest into the cooker. Add the beet slices.
- Lock on the lid. Bring to pressure. Maintain high pressure for 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat. Let the pressure come down naturally for 7 minutes, then release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid, tilting it away from you.
- Remove the large pieces of orange zest. Stir in the brown sugar and mustard.
- Remove the beets from the cooking liquid and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the orange zest and green onions with the beets. Pour the liquid from the cooker over the beets. Spoon ¼ of the mixture onto ½ cup of spicy greens on individual salad plates.
- Or you may chill the beets, without the zest and green onions, and let sit in the liquid for a day or two. Right before serving stir in the orange zest and green onions.