Get ready for a month of recipes from my long overdue Vegan Under Pressure blog tour/reviews. I will be posting three recipes every week. The first recipe is 4C’s Warm Rye Berry Salad.
Thank you Bryanna Clark Grogan from Vegan Feast Kitchen for reviewing Vegan Under Pressure and featuring many of the recipes including 4 Cs Warm Rye Berry Salad on your blog. The recipe can be found below and on page 56 of Vegan Under Pressure.
4 C’s Warm Rye Berry Salad – Vegan Under Pressure
- 1 cup chopped red or yellow onion
- 1½ cups chopped red cabbage plus 1½ cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup rye berries soaked overnight and drained
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ cup vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard [not the sweet kind--BCG]
- 1 tablespoon date or maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium carrot grated (½ to 1 cup)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- Salt optional
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a stovetop cooker over medium heat, or set an electric cooker to sauté. Add the onion and the 1½ cups chopped cabbage and dry sauté until the onion starts to look translucent. Add water by the tablespoon as needed to prevent any sticking.
- Add the rye berries, caraway seeds, bay leaves, and stock. Lock the lid on the cooker. Bring to high pressure; cook for 25 minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you.
- Carefully remove and discard the bay leaves. Transfer the grain mixture to a large bowl and let cool until almost room temperature. Once cool, drain and discard any remaining cooking liquid.
- Combine the mustard, date or maple syrup, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add the dressing to the cooled rye.
- Stir in the sliced cabbage, carrot, and chives. Add salt (if you like) and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
Leave a Reply