By: Nikki Kuhlmann, “virtual intern”, South Dakota State University
Kale? The superfood? I’m sure most of you have heard someone mention this nutrient packed leafy green at least once. This superfood is a staple in my kitchen and I also try to sneak it into other recipes.
“But how do you make it taste good?” is a common question I hear. This kale salad will titillate your taste buds.
This is a great time of year to give kale a try. It’s a super leafy green has nutrition attributes to brag about. Do you want to know why many nutrition authorities consider it a “superfood”? Kale is packed with many powerful nutrients including vitamins A, C, and K and the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and copper. Even spinach is left in the dust in a nutrient race with kale.
Vitamin K is an important nutrient for your blood and also assists in the transport of calcium which helps build, and keep, your bones strong.
Some unique ingredients are used in “The Veggie Queen’s Raw Kale Salad” including miso and raw tahini. Miso is a Japanese seasoning made by fermenting soybeans and adding salt and rice koji. Since it is fermented, miso supplies the digestive system with beneficial, and necessary, probiotic bacteria which improve digestion. Vegetarians and vegans can get excited to hear that miso also is a complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids.
Tahini is a paste made of ground up hulled sesame seeds. Have you ever had hummus? Surprise! Tahini is one of the main components. Everyone benefits from the protein content and calcium that tahini offers
This raw kale salad can be topped with your favorite fresh fruit to add a little extra sweetness or topped with seeds or dried fruit if desired. I found the salad to have the perfect blend of sweet and salty. Try “The Veggie Queen’s Raw Kale Salad” and see what you think, you’ll be surprised how good kale can taste.
©2105 from Nutrition CHAMPS: The Veggie Queen’s Guide to Eating and Cooking for Optimal, Health, Happiness, Energy and Vitality by Jill Nussinow, MS, RD
The Veggie Queen’s Raw Kale Salad
- 1 to 2 bunches kale collards or other greens, washed and spun dry
- 2-3 teaspoons raw tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons miso my favorite is South River Miso – brown rice or or mellow white works well or Bragg’s liquid amino acids
- 1 teaspoon agave or more to taste or soaked, blended dates
- 1 apple or pear sliced thin, julienned or grated
- ½ avocado cut into chunks, if you like it
- Top with seeds if desired
- Remove leaves from large ribs and slice thinly. Put into a large bowl. Add the tahini, lemon juice and miso. Put your hands into the bowl and massage the greens until they are wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the agave or date syrup and apple or pear. Stir well to combine. This tastes best when eaten immediately.
- Note: you can also add sunflower seeds or dried fruit to this salad, or go more savory by adding crushed garlic and sliced onion and omitting the apple.
- Notice how the greens shrink by about half when they are massaged with the tahini, miso and lemon juice. If you are eating this by yourself, make half a batch at once.